When life gives you apples, make apple crumble. This simple crumble recipe can be made with whatever fruit you have on hand, but most importantly, can be eaten at any hour of the day. You decide. We added quinoa flakes to these bad boys for some extra nutty flavour!
- 5 medium apples (we used Royal gala)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbs + 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup oats
- ½ heaped cup quinoa flakes
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (2-3 tbsp more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Peel, core and cut apples into bite-size pieces. Transfer apples to a large bowl. Add lemon juice and 2 tbsp of sugar. Toss the apples allowing all ingredients to mix well. Transfer prepared apples to a baking dish and cover while preparing the crumble.
- Combine oats, quinoa flakes, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Mix in ½ cup + 1 tbsp sugar and the melted butter. Using a fork or spatula combine the ingredients until lightly crumbled.
- Using your clean hands, form crumble clusters until the ingredients are very well combined and no dry flakes or oats are left. Add more butter if needed.
- Place the crumble mixture on the prepared apples, making sure the sides are well covered.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the crumble crust is golden brown and the sides are bubbling. Allow crumble to cool down for a few minutes before serving.