This creamy, probiotic and protein-rich porridge provides a great start to your and your family’s day. Top it with juicy macerated strawberries, as we’ve done here, or substitute any other fruit when berries are not in season.
For 4 portions
- 1 cup Royal white quinoa
- 1 ½ cups of water
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Large coconut flakes, optional
- Puffed quinoa
- Cook quinoa following the package’s instructions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the strawberries. Wash and chop them into a small bowl, then add the maple syrup and lemon juice and macerate until serving.
- To the pot with the quinoa, add the milk and the sugar, cover again, and continue cooking for an additional 3-5 minutes, to soften the quinoa further. When the grains are very soft (there should still be some milk at the bottom of the pot), remove from the heat, and remove the lid. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, and leave to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the yogurt to the quinoa and stir it through (do not add the yogurt while quinoa is very hot to avoid destroying the live cultures in the yogurt). Add the vanilla and stir to incorporate.
- Divide the quinoa among 4 bowls, top with more milk if desired, then garnish with the macerated strawberries, large coconut flakes and puffed quinoa.
Note: The quinoa porridge can also be made the night before (or as part of your meal prep), then divided among 4 jars for enjoying the next morning, or throughout the week. If you are preparing ahead of time, do not macerate strawberries; use freshly cut ones drizzled with maple syrup instead.