RECIPE BY: Olive and Mango
You can’t beat a cake that is personal sized and done in 70 seconds. If you are opposed to using a microwave or want to make a batch in the oven, there are directions below on how to do that. If you do end up using an oven to make this I would recommend prepping a batch because preheating an oven for one mug cake just doesn’t make any sense.
Makes 1 mug cake
- ¼ cup GoGo Quinoa buckwheat flour (homemade from GoGo Quinoa buckwheat flakes)
- 1 tablespoons cocoa powder plus more for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- ¼ tsp of espresso powder or instant coffee
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons of almond milk (or your choice of non dairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or your choice of vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaping tbsp of filling of your choice – I used a vegan chocolate hazelnut spread but peanut butter, almond butter, or a fruit purée would work
- 1 can coconut cream, set overnight in the fridge
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt, using a whisk.
- Add the milk and vegetable oil and whisk until well combined.
- Scrape into a microwave-safe mug, small bowl or ramekin And then spoon your choice of filling into the middle of the cup
- Place the cup in the microwave and then cook the cake for around 70 seconds on high.
- To make the coconut whip topping: With an electric mixer, whip up the solid coconut cream from the can (if you are using cream, the majority of the can should actually solidify) and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and fluff up for another 30 seconds. (Any extra will keep for a few days in a sealed container for a few days – you may just need to whip again before using)
- Add a dollop of coconut cream on top and serve right in the mug/ramekin while it’s nice and warm (icecream is also great on top)
- You can mix this whole thing in your mug or ramekin if you want to avoid washing up an extra bowl, but it will be easier to get rid of lumps in a bowl. Sift the cocoa if you find that it’s lumpy
- Can you make these in the oven? Sure you can! Make sure you are using an oven safe mug though and increase baking time to approx 20- 25 minutes at 350 ° F. If using an oven to make this I would recommend prepping a batch because preheating an oven for one mug cake just doesn’t make any sense.