RECIPE BY: The Saffron Stories
The perfect dish for your Christmas dinner table. You will have to make double!
- 1.5 cups GoGo Quinoa TriColor Quinoa
- 2 cups chestnuts (freshly roasted and peeled or canned)
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley.
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- To roast chestnuts (if not using canned), Preheat oven to 425F. Score the top of each chestnut with an “X”. Put on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until shells begin to peel back. Once done, put chestnuts in dishtowel and wrap for a few minutes. Once cool enough to handle, peel shells off and crumble. Reduce oven heat to 375F.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add celery and onions. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in apples, chestnut crumbles and sage and cook another 2-3 minutes until apples get tender but not mushy. Season with some salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix the chestnut apples mixture with quinoa. Spread out into a casserole dish or other baking dish.
- Pour vegetable broth over stuffing, top with parsley, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
NOTE: If you are using low sodium vegetable broth, you may have to increase your salt a bit. Taste the mixture and see what tastes right.