RECIPE BY: Nathalie Charron
Looking to impress your guests with a fancy entrée this Holiday season? Make these quinoa and beet meatballs with their maple tahini sauce. Or make them and keep them for yourself, that’s fine too!
Makes 20 to 24 meatballs
- 1 ½ cup cooked beets cut into pieces
- 1 ½ cup tri-color quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 ½ cup of quinoa flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup of tahini
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 small clove of chopped garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400oF.
- In a saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil and cook the onions, garlic and mushrooms for a few minutes and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the beets and walnuts a few times until nicely chopped.
- Add the quinoa, the mixture of mushrooms and onions and garlic as well as the spices, cilantro and quinoa flakes and pulse 2-3 times to obtain a homogeneous mixture but with a few pieces.
- Place the mixture in the fridge 30 min before forming the meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with a little olive oil with a brush.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Serve the meatballs with maple tahini sauce.