RECIPE BY: M. Grace Bakeshop
Why buy pre-made energy bars when you can make them easily at home? These GF apple spice bars are the perfect dessert! They keep well in the fridge and can also be enjoyed for breakfast.
Makes 9 bars
- 1 cup GoGo Quinoa buckwheat flakes
- 2 cups GoGo Quinoa pancake mix
- ½ teaspoon GoGo Quinoa pink Andean table salt
- 4 ounces melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider (or apple juice)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup GoGo Quinoa cinnamon Crunchies, crushed
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 3 cups apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Pinch GoGo Quinoa pink Andean table salt
- 1 tablespoon corn starch blended with 2 tablespoons apple cider (or apple juice)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray and line an 8 x 8 cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the filling, melt coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped apples and spices and cook for about 2–3 minutes then add maple syrup and cornstarch cider mixture. Give it a stir and continue to cook until the mixture thickens, another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside while you get the crust together.
- For the crust, mix all ingredients together except the cinnamon crunchies. The dough should just come together and will be slightly crumbly. If the crust is too dry, add a teaspoon more of apple cider. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread it out evenly and into the corners of the pan. Spread the apple filling over the crust and sprinkle the remaining crust on top with the crushed cinnamon crunchies.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until it becomes golden brown. Allow the bars to cool before slicing into 9 equal portions.
- Can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.